Senior Underwriter - Construction
- - UW - Construction Liability
- New York City, NY, USA
- Full Time
Senior Underwriter - Construction
New York City, NY; Chicago, IL; or Remote
Want to join an exciting and collaborative company that offers competitive compensation and benefits packages – including an innovative open vacation plan, fully vested matching 401k, professional and educational growth opportunities, flexible and casual work environment, and recognition for exceptional performance?
CapSpecialty® is seeking an experienced, business-focused senior commercial liability underwriter to join our Construction Underwriting team. With an emphasis on providing quality and service to our wholesale production partners, this position will be responsible for new business production and renewal business servicing. Other expectations will be to work in a team environment to achieve premium production goals of the department, build and maintain relationships with our wholesale production partners, and develop marketing and distribution strategies. The senior underwriter will also assist in crafting policy language and must be able to interact well with internal resources.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in a technical field
- 7+ years of casualty underwriting experience, with 3+ in construction preferred
- Completion or continuing work towards industry certifications (CPCU, CIC, RPLU, etc.) preferred.
- Experience underwriting residential and commercial contractors and construction risks in the small to middle market space is essential.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to interact well with internal and external resources at all levels.
- Strong familiarity and expertise with ISO Commercial General Liability and XS Liability policy forms and endorsements, particularly for the construction industry. Working knowledge of ISO GL rating and general loss rating.
- Strong familiarity with the construction trades, project policies and owner's interest policies a plus.
- Working knowledge and experience with pollution liability, especially Contractors Pollution including mold coverage.
- Preferred candidate will have strong relationships within the wholesale marketplace.
- Ability to develop familiarity with a wide variety of businesses and organizations, the services they provide, as well as the regulatory, legislative, legal and economic factors that affect them.
- Technically competent in all standard business software applications.
CapSpecialty is a leading provider of specialty insurance for small- to mid-sized businesses in the U.S., offering Commercial Property and Casualty, Professional Liability, Surety and Fidelity products in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. By working with select partners through a limited distribution model, CapSpecialty's creative, hard-working team provides personalized service and cultivates mutually successful partnerships to deliver positive results. CapSpecialty's carriers have an A ("Excellent") rating from A.M. Best, writing both admitted and non-admitted policies on the paper of Capitol Indemnity Corporation, Capitol Specialty Insurance Corporation and Platte River Insurance Company – subsidiaries of Alleghany Insurance Holdings LLC, part of Alleghany Corporation (NYSE: Y).
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer